The MBSR Foundations Training Program is the first formal program of Level One MBSR Teacher Training. This training combines participating fully in an 8-week MBSR program as well as engaging in the Foundations seminar. The entire training spans both an 8-week MBSR program and the Foundations program.
Through reflecting on and exploring one’s individual experience with meditation, the MBSR curriculum, and class dynamics, trainees delve into the very personal nature of mindfulness practice and begin to cultivate teacher qualities that will form the foundation of understanding the essence of MBSR and the aliveness and wisdom inherent in the curriculum.
Reflection and investigation are supported through reflective journaling, group dialogue, and a variety of learning activities that take place in the MBSR Foundations seminar, in group discussions, and through individual assignments.
The experiential nature of MBSR is reflected in the MBSR Foundations seminar through a variety of learning avenues, including cognitive frames, critical thinking, and written assignments.
Towards the end of the course, trainees will receive guidance and support for offering short introductory programs or workshops based on the MBSR curriculum. These offerings form part of the requirement for application to the second step of the formal training for teaching MBSR: MBSR Teacher Advancement Intensive (TAI).
With home practice assignments between sessions along with online discussion posts, preparation, reading, and assignments take an additional 12-15 hours.
- As part of MBSR Foundations, you will participate in an 8-week MBSR program. The MBSR will be taught by your Foundations instructor and offered by the Mindfulness and Health Institute (MHI), a separate entity that collaborates with Brown University.
- Review entire course schedule details as you will be enrolled in the Foundations course and automatically enrolled in the MBSR paired with it.
- The Foundations meets for 10 sessions.
- The MBSR meets for 8 sessions with an Orientation session and an all-day session.
- You will be required to attend all course sessions
Attendance at the weekly, live online sessions is part of the program, and these sessions will not be recorded.
If you have questions about attendance or know you will need to miss a session, please be in touch with the instructor.
It is a REQUIRED PRE-REQUISITE to take an 8-week MBSR program as a full participant before beginning the MBSR teacher training. You will then take a second 8-week MBSR program as part of the MBSR Foundations course. The second time around, you will be invited to participate fully in the MBSR class, and you will also be invited to observe what is happening in the class. The weekly MBSR class becomes a key part of each Foundations seminar as you have an opportunity to unpack the class with your Foundations cohort and the instructor.
Additionally a REQUIRED PRE-REQUISITE is participation in a 5-7 day Silent Retreat.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in MBSR Teaching : MBSR Certificate Courses